Tuesday, September 28, 2010

wakey wakey, eggs and bacey

Most mornings, my hubby gets the little one out of bed, while I rub sleep from my eyes and crawl out slowly, meeting them downstairs with my breastfeeding pillows. G always needs a diaper change, and he's in a generally good mood until he realizes he hasn't eaten in at least 8 hours. We generally wake him up at 7:30 on Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays so that we both have time to get ready before Dave has to leave for work. Grayson is usually ready, and usually doesn't make it to 7:30 anyway. He seems to like 6:30, with a wake up sometime before that as well. The weekends, we let him sleep as long as he wants. Which again is usually 6:30.

But on Tuessdays and Thursdays, I get to wake him up if he's still in his crib. We have to get up at 5 because I have to leave the house at 7 to make it to teach my 8 o'clock class. (Those numbers are so painful to type.)  Sometimes g will sleep from 8:00-5:00. Tonight he slept from 9-5, though I think he might've been awake for a while.

In any case, I'm pretty sure my alarm woke him (he sleeps in a travel crib in our room). I got out of bed and went over to him while hubby went to shower. There he was, laying still in his SnuggleMe, looking up at me with his I-just-woke-up-what-do-you-want? face. He blinked slowly and began to move his shoulders, writhing a bit, so I knew what that meant.

Stretchy time.

If g has gotten enough sleep, when he wakes up he wants to do one of two things 1) not move and blink for a while, and 2) stretch.  And stretch and stretch and stretch.
I leaned over and pulled apart the velcro from the top of the SnuggleMe. POP when the baby. His arms shot out over his head, his fingers stretching out, rubbing his head, ears, face. He arched his back and curled his toes in together. He makes the most awful faces when he stretches. His face gets all red, he tucks his chin and causes a huge chin flab effect, he makes grunting noises.

He pretty much looks like this, which our lovely photographers Chris and Adrienne Scott caught during his newborn shoot.
I love every minute of it.

I waited patiently as he finished and looked back up at me again. So I picked him up and brought him to his room to change his diaper. He stretched again, making it difficult to hold him. Silly billy. When I put him on his changing pad, he looked up at me.  "Good morning, Grayson-bud," I said. His face split open with a huge gummy smile, the kind that stretches his cheeks wide and makes even his eyes smile.

What a great way to wake up indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...