Thursday, July 26, 2012

this boy? he cray-zee

Do you ever have one of those moments when you look at your toddler and think, Who are you and why are you yelling at me?

Because I'm having those. A lot.

I have no idea where the yelling is coming from. No one in our house yells, or at least, yells a lot. The hubs and I are both fairly calm people except during football season, and even then the yelling last year was toned down for the sake of our kid's ears. So why does G insist on trying to communicate by yelling? Or both throwing things at the wall, including himself?

He'll yell at random people we meet too. He did this at two girls in Target the other day, and I'm standing there thinking, should I tell them he's just saying hi even though I'm pretty sure he's just yelling at them for no reason? They just laughed at him and moved on, while I pretended I really needed to go down a aisle for dog food even though we have no dog.

Most of the time, he's very well behaved in public, especially to adults. People comment all the time on how good he is, sitting there patiently in the cart while we check out. Sometimes he'll have a snack, and he never dumps his food on the floor on purpose.

And of course, inside, I'm all no, wait, we'll go home and then. the yelling. it'll begin again. When we're out and about, you're only seeing poker-face G who might flash you a smile if you're lucky but at least he's well behaved.

Yeah.

The kid knows what an inside voice is and how to be quiet. If you ask, he immediately drops his tone to something less harsh on the ears. If you say, "ask nicely," when he's whining for something, he'll immediately do the sign for please. But I'm like, c'mon kid, if you know how to ask properly, why are you yelling at me?

I know those with 3 and 4 year olds are laughing at me right now. I hear a lot of, "Oh, you ain't seen nothing yet, hon." And I die inside a little more at the thought of worse. I also know that I'm asking a lot of a 2 year old who doesn't understand most of what he does or half of what I say, and he can't remember where his own elbow is 25% of the time. Like everything else with him, maybe it'll pass soon as a phase. We went through some screaming a while back, and some random crying, and that short period where he rammed his head into the wall. 

Sigh.

But yes, the yelling. I love that my kid has already figured out how to look bashful. When he's been yelling in the other room for a moment, and I go in there to give him my stop that OMG what are you doing in here? look, he gives me that sweet face. Then he'll walk over and give a peace offering of plastic food or my own phone as if to say, here, mommy, some food will calm your blood sugar or maybe you should play Gem Miner 2 for ten minutes to calm yourself down before you start yelling. Yelling isn't nice.

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy, do I feel your pain! My one year old has decided that yelling is far more effective than learning words. Lots of pointing, lots of grunting, lots of yelling...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wish I could tell you it gets better at 2... but it doesn't. :) Your blog is all kinda of awesome, by the way!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...