Sunday, October 3, 2010

cutting the umbilical cord

Friday night we decided to put Grayson in his crib for only the second time. I was getting desperate to sleep for more than an hour at a time. While g typically sleeps from 8-3:30 and 4:30-6:30, he had started slamming his heels into the mattress of his travel crib. In our room. Over and over. It's loud. My boobs get me up to pump somewhere between 12 and 2, so this really wasn't leaving me much room to wake up, fall asleep, and stay asleep.

Slam, slam goes g's feet. He squirms, and his travel crib shifts noisely with the motion. I'm unamused.

The first time we put him in his crib, he did fine, but I cried like a baby. We were so paranoid about SIDS that Dave slept in the recliner next to his crib. But we were in need of some sleep, and this babycake can get restless at night.

Since he's turning 4 months tomorrow, we figured it was time. We bought a video monitor for peace of mind; it had been a long time since I felt the need to peer into his travel crib and check on him, but I at least wanted the option.  We got this one from Amazon, and we're pretty happy with it so far. (If you can spare more money, get one with a flat screen. The TV's screen is huge but the TV itself takes up a lot of space on my nightstand.)

Friday night, he got up once more than usual. He almost always wakes up at 3:30 and 6:30. That night he woke up at 12:30, went immediately back down after nursing until 3:30, then back down again until 6:30. All three times he broke out of his SwaddleMe.

Last night, he really didn't want to go to sleep at 7:30. I nursed him like usual, but he kept leaning back to look up at me and grin. So we let him stay up and watch Glee until he decided he was ready for bed a half hour earlier. He slept until 2:30. Since I had just finished pumping and we were both awake, we actually watched him Houdini his way out of his SwaddleMe. This kid is strong. And really doesn't want to be swaddled.

(He might have slept longer if I hadn't been forced to throw a book at a giant fuckin' spider in the kitchen when I got up to pump. Seriously. This spider was so big that I kicked it with my foot after leaving the bathroom. You shouldn't be able to kick a spider as though it was a ball. Plus, it was fast. The large cookbook was the only weapon I had.)

G was really restless after waking up, so Dave took him downstairs and put him in his swing until about 4:30. Then g slept until his usual 6:30.

I think this means the transition is going well. I'm certainly able to sleep for a longer period and much more deeply. I hope he starts stretching out his sleep again. I'm worried, however, that he's outgrowing his SwaddleMe. I'm not ready! Seriously, he hits himself in the face when he's not swaddled. And he'll suck on his fingers because he's kinda hungry and then gets pissed off when they don't fit properly in his mouth or produce milk.

At least he's not waking up every hour?

Poor cuddlebug gets his 4 month shots tomorrow. Oh joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...