Sunday, October 24, 2010

open and say "AHHHH!"

At our four-month appointment, our pediatrician gave us the go-ahead to start Grayson on rice cereal. We haven't been in a rush, though. I know the current recommendation for breastfed babies to start solids is six months, and even though we'd been getting comments that maybe it was about time, we just didn't feel ready. G had barely begun to take interest in what we were eating, mainly just watching us more intently. He certainly wasn't showing any signs that he actually wanted to eat our food. Nor did he seem dissatisfied with only boob (really, my kid dissatisfied with boob? pssh!) like he wanted more or something.

So we waited and waited, and figured since he's turning five months next week, we'd go ahead and give it a try. I don't want to give him much rice cereal anyway because I know it can cause constipation and what-not. Plus, it's kinda gross. But it's a tradition first food, so why not?

G will sit fine in his highchair, though he's not a huge fan. I thought he was in a pretty good mood, but he started fussing pretty quickly in the chair, so I guess not. That probably didn't help matters. I mixed up the stuff (so gross) with a little breast milk, dipped the spoon in it, and shoved it in his mouth. He stopped fussing real quick, as he does whenever something goes into his mouth (except for pacifiers, as you well know that he hates).

So I tried some stuff actually on the spoon. That didn't go too well.



We wiped his mouth pretty quickly, so there aren't any pics of the mess. Needless to say, I'm certain he didn't actually swallow any of it. That little tongue pushed out every bit of that rice cereal, accompanied by the appropriate faces. I think we'll give it a rest and try again in a few weeks.

This is what I think of your attempts to make me eat something other than boob. Bleh!

He looks rather toddler-ish in the photo above, doesn't he? My little baby is growing so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...