Tuesday, November 29, 2011

baby kisses

Grayson saw Santa today!!!!

I was way more excited than he was.

It went pretty much like last year. He didn't even look at Santa when Dave sat him on the man's lap. We danced around behind the photographer like idiots, G flashed a smile, a couple pictures were taken, and then we left.

Easy-peasy.

We hung around for a while to listen to the Christmas concert at my university. While we were waiting, I had G sitting on a ledge in front of me. He started playing with my hair. He would grab two fistfuls on either side of my face and hold them over my eyes. Peek-a-boo and hide-n-seek are two of his favorite games right now. I would say, "Where's Mommy?" and he would jerk his hands to reveal my face and cackle gleefully at the apparent joke.


He did this forever, probably ten minutes, which is forever in toddler time. Then, all of a sudden, he leaned forward and kissed me right on the lips, a quick and intentional peck.

It was an honest-to-God, closed-mouthed kiss.

So far, G's kisses were open mouthed and not very enthusiastic (and very rare). I was just stunned. So was Dave. I held my breath. G, with his little hands still fisted in my hair, leaned forward and kissed me again. If I could have melted in a puddle of mommy goo, I would have.

I turned my head to look at Dave, feeling tears behind my eyes. His expression was as delighted as mine.

A chubby hand reached up, pressed against my cheek, and turned my face back toward his. He leaned forward and kissed me a third time. No, mama, one more kiss!

I really did cry then. I was so touched. My kid is very affectionate and always has been. He loves hugs and cuddles, complains when we ask him to drink his milk alone because he'd rather drink it on our laps, and leans in for kisses all of the time. But these kisses were so random, so prompted by him, that they literally took my breath away.

I truly felt my son's love. I'll just never forget that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...