Sunday, November 13, 2011

what 11/11/11 means to me

When I was in college, I always went to bed around 11pm (except, of course, on weekends). This meant I was usually pretty focused on the clock around this time, so I often saw when it turned 11:11pm. Often, the mantra was "It's 11:11 - make a wish!" Sometimes I didn't. Usually I did.

Of course, this past Friday was extra awesome, being November 11 of 2011. A friend of mine from college turned 30 that day, so we spent Friday evening at her house partying it up. What a day to turn the big 3-0! My 30th birthday won't be near as cool, since mine this year is on the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. Awesome, right?

Anyway.

I've always been big on wishes. When I blow out birthday candles, I still make some kind of wish. I wish on shooting stars and coins in fountains. If I find the wishbone of a turkey or chicken, I make someone break it with me so I can wish if I win. I don't know how much I believe in the power of wishes and how much they might come true, but I do believe that they represent a powerful thought that everyone should have. Everyone should have something to shoot for, something they want so badly. I find that one of the sweetest aspects of life is hoping for the future.

On Friday, we had an hour drive to my friend's and an hour drive back. My mother-in-law was babysitting, but not overnight, so we knew we had 6-7 hours to sleep if we were lucky. Normally, we wouldn't have been awake that late. Usually, we're in bed by 10, especially right now as G hasn't adjusted fully to the time change yet.

We were in the car, almost home. The hubs poked me and pointed at the dashboard.

The clock had turned 11:11pm on 11/11/11.

I made a wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...