Monday, October 18, 2010

going dairy-free

When G was about six weeks old, he was diagnosed with a milk protein allergy. Keep in mind that this is way different from a lactose allergy, which is extremely rare in babies. Milk protein allergies mean he's allergic to the proteins of the dairy I eat that then get into my breastmilk.

He had a good number of the usual symptoms of a milk protein allergy.
  • fussiness
  • lots of spitting up
  • green and/or mucous and/or blood in stool
  • not sleeping well
  • lots of boogies
The pedi did a test on his poop (gross, I know) that revealed he did indeed have blood in it. It's so heartbreaking to think about, but at least we were grateful to find out what was wrong. After I cut dairy for a couple of weeks, I tried reintroducing it again. Back came his problems almost immediately, so we were then sure of the allergy.

Of course, this meant I had to go dairy free and I loooove dairy. I love ice cream and pizza and cheeseburgers. And chocolate. And cookies. And lasagna. I could go on and on. I wasn't too amused by the idea that I had to go without, but the alternative was putting him on a highly expensive formula and giving up breastfeeding. No way, said I.

(Plus, I think G would freak if he didn't get boob.)

All in all, cutting out dairy cold turkey has been difficult. I have to read the labels of everything in the grocery store. There are the obvious products that have diary, and then there are the not so obvious, like deli meats. Seriously.

I figured I'd use the blog as a platform for helping out other mamas who have discovered they must go dairy-free for their little cuddlebugs. The hardest part is just figuring out what to eat! I'll post my foods of choice, as well as some of my favorite recipes.

I know it's only temporary. And as soon as I wean, I'm gaining like 10 pounds off Five Guys double cheeseburgers with mushrooms and Cajun fries alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...